Re: [Xen-users] HVM disc image switching

I did some testing on this today, switching cdroms in windows xp .
This may not help you personally, as it seems you have ran these or
equivalent commands with little or no success.  I'm replying to this in
hopes that it may help someone else with the issue.

Using Fedora 7 with xen 3.1 and RHEL 5 with xen 3.0.3 i used the
following commands and it worked every time:

xm block-configure <domU> file:/xen/foo.iso hdc:cdrom r
xm block-configure <domU> phy:/dev/scd0 hdc:cdrom r

where foo.iso was an empty file and /dev/scd0 is the physical cdrom on
dom0.
Ejecting the cdrom on winxp (domU) seemed to do nothing except create
confusion.

I scripted those commands out such that I had to eject the cdrom on
dom0, put in a new cdrom on dom0, run the script, and the cdrom would
change on winxp.

It also worked using an iso:

xm block-configure <domU> file:/iso/cdrom1.iso hdc:cdrom r

however, i didn't have to run the foo.iso script first in that case.
Just switch from one iso to the other with xm block-configure and it
worked.  Again, i did not eject the cdrom on winxp.

Here is how i have the disk parameter in my xen config file:

disk = [ 'file:/xen/win32/xp/domU/domU.img,hda,w'
         , 'phy:/dev/scd0,hdc:cdrom,r' ]

however
disk = [ 'file:/xen/win32/xp/domU/domU.img,hda,w'
         , ',hdc:cdrom,r' ]

also worked successfully, i just had to do:

xm block-attach <domU> phy:/dev/scd0 hdc:cdrom r

before i could use the cdrom for the first time on winxp.