[Xen-users] RE: Cloning a Windows VM

To: "'Ligesh'" <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Xen Users'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: Cloning a Windows VM
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:37:25 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 03:35:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

        I think, this could be possible = If Zou copz ěGB "virtual disk" to
4 GB, then if You start windows, it should be reported just as a larger
physical disk and You can
A. either create a new partition and use it:
  1.  directly
        a, as a new partition mounted as some directory within NTFS
        b, as a new partition with the "brand new" "disk letter"
  or
  2. indirectly - in the case You would use Windows dynamic disk system, You
can just extend the Windows partition by the new partition (something a
little bit similar to PV concept in LVM under Linux)

B. or just extend the ntfs partition - this can be done
        1. by some linux tool - as far as I remember I reduced the size of
the ntfs partition by gparted coming with ubuntu - so the extension should
be also possible, or
        2. I have heard if You in cfdisk or other similar tool delete and
recreate the partition starting from the same position, the data will be not
deleted and the partition will contain the original file system...

        After You then boot into windows, There will be started scandisk
because the size remembered on the partition by windows does not correspond
with the new real partition size, but this should be no problem. (Only in
the case You already use windows dynamic disks I am not sure if it would be
possible)

        I personally tested only the waz with the resize of ntfs through
gparted, but I can imagine all the other ways I have heard about can do a
good and fast job.

        With regards

                Archie