Re: [Xen-users] XenU installs

On Tuesday 05 June 2007, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 05:41:58PM +0100, Andre Grove wrote:
> >> hello all,
> >>
> >> i've been messing around with Xen, and it seems that most HOWTOs
> >> document installs by using prebuilt images.
> >> i'm rather anal about my installs though, and i want to be able to
> >> boot CDs (or ISO images). i've tried the following config:
> >>
> >> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen"
> >> memory = 128
> >> name = "andre_test_01"
> >> cpus = "1" # leave to Xen to pick
> >> vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]
> >> disk = [ 'file:/xendisks/andre_test.img,sda1,w',
> >> 'file:/xendisks/andre_test_swap.img,sda2,w',
> >> 'file:/xendisks/install-isoS/install.iso,hdc,r' ]
> >> ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.16.33-xen"
> >> boot = "d"
> >>
> >> the boot = d is apparently used to boot the cdrom, but it doesn't work
> >> for me. i've tried copying the vmlinuz and initrd.
> >
> > CDROM's are only used in fully-virt guests - your config here is a
> > paravirt guest so there's no boot option available. Paravirt guests can
> > only boot off a kernel/initrd (or via a bootloader like pygrub).
> > Fullyvirt guests have a real BIOS so boot from the MBR of the disk, from
> > CDROM, Floppy or PXE from the network.
>
> Paravirt can do certain types of network boots: look into libvirt and
> virt-manager and virt-install to see how it's done.
>
> It's also possible to build an OS image in a mounted partition with rpm
> "--relocate" and similar tools.

I think yum can do install into a directory.

There was a tool called rpmstrap which automated install into a directory for
rpm-based guests - I think it may also have handled some guest
configuration / xen-related config stuff but I'm not 100% there.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!