Re: [Xen-users] snapshot - backup for xen vm's

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] snapshot - backup for xen vm's
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:12:47 +0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 May 2007 20:11:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
it-news (Josef Lahmer) wrote:
> is there a way to make a lvm-snapshot of an running xen-vm to implement a
> function like "snapshot-backup"?
>
> #) make snapshot
> #) mount snapshot
> #) copy files
> #) umount snapshot
> #) remove snapshot
>
> eg (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html)
>
> regards
> josy
>
> interessting: How to mount a XenVM filesystem on XenServer Host:
> http://kb.xensource.com/entry.jspa?categoryID=14&externalID=162

If you :
- use an LV (NOT files) on dom0 as storage for domU's block device
- use partitions on domU (NOT LVM)

Then both link are applicable right away, in the sense that :
- you create an LVM-snapshot of the LV used by domU
- use kpartx to create block device nodes for partitions on that
LVM-snapshot
- mount the partitions
- copy files
- umount partitions
- remove LVM snapshot

Personally, I prefer using dom0-LVM directly as partitions on domU (i.e.
all partitioning and LVM is handled by dom0). But that will also mean I
can't install domU using Anaconda (in the case of RHEL), I have to
manually copy it form an exisisting physical machine.
yum --installroot should work, but you need to do some extra
configurations afterwards.
Yast install to directory on SUSE should also work.

Regards,

Fajar