RE: [Xen-users] Debian/Xen usage summary

To: "Larry A Weidig" <lweidig@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Debian/Xen usage summary
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:41:42 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:41:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since there is no "real wire" involved in the transfer across the
network within the machine (that is, before the network hits Dom0),
there's no real meaning to the {10M, 100M, 1G}bps used for wired
networks, because it's using a virtual network device anyways, not a
REAL network device. So, assuming your machine is capable, you could get
1000Gbps on the network between DomU and Dom0 even if you have a 10Mbps
network device! [Although currently, I'd say you'll probably struggle to
get much more than 10Mbps out of the virtualized network adapter]

The slowness involved in the network traffic is all to do with the fact
that there is a SIGNIFICANT overhead in the way that the virtual device
modeling is done. First of all, whenever a hardware access is done, the
guest will "exit" back to the hypervisor, which will forward the access
to Dom0's "qemu-dm", where the hardware access is then interpreted and
"performed". Network devices are actually much better here than for
example IDE-disk accesses, as most network devices are fairly low number
of accesses per packet. But there's still some communication per packet
needed. One of the majror causes of delay is Dom0 being busy. If you can
make sure that Dom0 isn't doing anything else (and runs on it's own
core(s) that aren't being used by any other domain).

But the biggest gain would be to completely skip the virtualized network
adapter and use a para-virtual driver. This is a driver that is aware
that the network device isn't a "real" device, but rather just packets
up the network packet and forwards it directly to Dom0. It's still a
little bit of overhead (particularly if Dom0 is busy doing "other
things") compared to a real machine with it's direct access to a network
card, but the overhead is significantly lower as there's only ONE
interaction with Dom0 per packet. PV drivers are available for Network
and Disk. Linux PV drivers are included in the Xen source code (at least
in the CURRENT code - not sure when they got included, 3.0.3 or 3.0.4),
and Windows ones are available in some distributions that contain Xen,
for example XenExpress (although using those drivers for a different
version of Xen than the one used in XenExpress may cause problems - I
haven't tried myself, but my collegues reported problems doing that).

--
Mats