RE: [Xen-users] Help needed validating hardware for Xen

To: "Yevgeniy Goldberg" <thegoldberg@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Help needed validating hardware for Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:51:58 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:51:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There should be no problem with this processor (unless your particular
processor isn't broken). This is the same processor design as my FX62
that I've got in my system - and it works just fine.

> Motherboard - ABIT Nvidia KN9 SLI socket M2

I haven't used this motherboard, so I can't say.

> I have downloaded and installed Fedora Core 6 with xen 3.0.3
> When I attempt to boot the xen kernel I get an immediate panic on
> CPU0 stating that timer does not work.
> I still have a chance to return the hardware if it is can not
> be used
> with xen.

If you add "noreboot" on the "xen.gz" line in your boot configuration
(grub.conf or similar), maybe you can give us the complete error
message.

My guess would be that there is something wrong in the ACPI information
in the BIOS, and that a BIOS-upgrade is probably going to fix the
problem (assuming a new BIOS is available).

--
Mats