Re: [Xen-users] Unable to boot a full virtualized guest with two or more

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Unable to boot a full virtualized guest with two or more processors on a Xeon-VT platform
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 22:46:40 +0100
Cc: Philippe Berthault <Philippe.Berthault@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:44:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I believe this support is supposed to be completed in 3.0.4 and above.  I've
heard that RedHat may be releasing a service pack incorporating an updated
version of Xen at some point in the future.

In the meantime, I'm afraid your best solution is probably to either build Xen
from source or find some RPMs of 3.0.4 that will work on RHEL...  This might
not suit RedHat's support people, but AFAIK they don't support anything other
than RHEL-on-RHEL at the moment anyhow.

Hope that helps clarify things somewhat.

Cheers,
Mark

On Thursday 05 April 2007 09:35, Philippe Berthault wrote:
> On my VT platform (4 dual-core Xeon-VT processors with 16 GB RAM), I am
> unable to boot a full virtualized guest domain with two or more
> processors. This problem is independent of the guest type, in example I
> have this problem with Linux Knoppix, Linux Mandriva, Windows 2003,
> Windows XP, etc... In all cases, the guest OS recognizes only one
> processor.
>

> I've seen that VMware has already related this problem on its comparison
> between VMware ESX and Xen 3.0.3. An extract of the document "A
> Performance Comparison of Hypervisors" found found on the WMware web site:
>
>   " The tests for both virtual SMP configuration as well as virtual
> machine scalability could not be run due to issues with the Xen
> virtualization hypervisor. A two virtual CPU Windows guest could not be
> booted using the Xen hypervisor.
>   The virtual machine scalability tests could not be run because more
> than two uniprocessor Windows guests could not be booted using the Xen
> hypervisor. At this time, it is not known when this issue will be fixed
> and the tests can be tried again.
>   While Xen claims to support virtual SMP and virtual machine
> scalability, the results from these experiments demonstrate that
> enterprise customers should run their own tests to make sure such
> configurations actually work."
>

> I confirm that SMP doesn't work on Xen 3.0.3 on Xeon-VT platform while
> XenSource has denigrate this fact.
>
> When trying to boot a multiprocessors Linux guest, I've the following
> messages on the guest log:
> CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.60Ghz stepping 08
> SMP alternatives: switching to SMP code
> Booting processor 1/1 eip 3000
> Not responding.
> Inquiring remote APIC #1...
> ... APIC #1 ID: failed
> ... APIC #1 VERSION: failed
> ... APIC #1 SPIV: failed
> CPU#1 not responding - cannot use it.
> Total of 1 processors activated (5225.61 BogoMIPS).
>

> I'am using the Xen version (3.0.3) of Red Hat, RHEL-5 official version.
> Anyone has an idea of what is the problem ?
> Thanks.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!