Re: [Xen-users] dom0 networking disabled

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 04:28:55AM -0700, John Shen wrote:
> peter,
>
> thank you so much for your response
>
> i have bridge-util installed:
>
> bridge-utils-1.1-2
>
> though i do not see any bridge_ports command. is that supposed to be a
> command available if i have this package installed?
>
> also, xen network-bridge script works fine and guest network works fine. so i
> am still lost.

Sorry John, my fault, I should have made it clear that I was outlining a
Debian solution.

I've just done some testing with a FC5 box and I think the following
should work for you.

Assuming your original ifcfg-eth0 looks something like:

    # Initial ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    HWADDR=00:11:43:66:1C:1A
    IPADDR=10.0.0.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes

You now create a new config file called ifcfg-xbr0 and transfer accross
the ip address and netmask from your original ifcfg-eth0. The end
result should be the following two files:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xbr0:

    # ifcfg-xbr0
    DEVICE=xbr0
    TYPE=Bridge
    BOOTPROTO=none
    IPADDR=10.0.0.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

    # New ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    HWADDR=00:11:43:66:1C:1A
    ONBOOT=yes
    BRIDGE=xbr0

Note that I've added a new BRIDGE setting to the ifcfg-eth0 file.

The ifcfg-xbr0 file I've just shown is as simple as it gets. You can add
other parameters such as timeouts, etc. Take a look at the ifup-eth
script if you're curious.

On a different topic, if FC6 doesn't have a network-dummy script, you can
create one with:

    $ cat <<EOF > /etc/xen/scripts/network-dummy
    #!/bin/bash

    exit 0
    EOF
    $ chmod +x /etc/xen/scripts/network-dummy

Then change your xend-config.sxp to read:
    (network-script network-dummy)
    (vif-script vif-bridge)

Let us know if this works for you.

jez