Re: [Xen-users] Any latest XEN development ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Any latest XEN development ?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 02:03:23 +0000
Cc: anant <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:01:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> No Updates :-(

What sort of areas are of interest, and when did you last get a chance to
check? ;-)

A few things that may interest you:

I believe -unstable has support for running paravirtualised 32-bit PAE domains
on a 64-bit hypervisor, alongside 64-bit domains (and 64, 32/PAE and 32 bit
HVM domains).  You can even run dom0 as a 32-bit domain (in fact, I had the
impression there were performance benefits to this, but I'm not clear on the
details beyond some rather gross suspicions about memory protection ;-)

The process of getting Xen support integrated into mainline Linux seems to be
getting somewhere; this code is maintained separately from the XenLinux
sparse tree and uses the new Paravirt Ops code in Linux (also used by
VMware's VMI, Rusty's rustyvisor (sorry, we're supposed to call it lguest,
formerly called lhype)).

RHEL5 has been released including a tightly integrated Xen hypervisor
implementation and management tools, plus virtualisation-aware licensing and
support agreements.

Maybe a Xen news blog would be a good idea to keep people informed of what's
going on!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.