Re: [Xen-users] Installing a domU on NFS

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 04:42:17PM +0100, Dominik Klein wrote:

> Well this seems wrong information. Both is not compilable as a module in
> my kernel version 2.6.18

  Yes, you will need to enable it since it isn't enabled by default.

> Besides, from what I understood, the kernel that is started initially is
> the one from /boot in dom0 - isnt it?

  Yes - and it is that kernel which needs it enabled in.

  By default the Xen kernel which is installed by "make world && make
 install" doesn't have NFS_ROOT setup.  Neither do many of the kernels
 packaged by distributions.  (eg. Debian Etch has a range of Xen kernels
 but none of them have NFS_ROOT compiled in).

  By happy coincidence I wrote a guide on getting NFS_ROOT working
 on a Debian machine yesterday evening and it just got published:

  In short:

    1.  Get the Xen source, so you can rebuild a xen kernel and
       install it to /boot
    2.  Setup NFS server.
    3.  Create Xen configuration file beneath /etc/xen

  No need to use an initrd image in the common cases, unless you need
 funky hardware support.  Just compile NFS into the kernel rather than
 as a module and you'll be fine.

  Hope that helps a little.

Steve