RE: [Xen-users] Question about source branches

To: "Tom Mornini" <tmornini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Question about source branches
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:42:57 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:42:39 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unstable is where the current development work is going on. This can be
both simple bug fixes and major changes - and sometimes quite disruptive
work that re-arranges large portions of code goes on here. It is not
tested with anything but some basic automated testing. Definitely not
what you want to

Stable is a release that has been well tested and tried out, verified to
be "stable". There are new releases to "stable", but changes aren't very
frequent.

Testing is a half-way house which is used for "new additions to stable"
until those are "verified stable". For example "backports" from
unstable, say someone finds and fixes a bad bug in unstable, that can
relatively easily be fixed in earlier versions, then that patch
(suitably modified) will be applied to testing. At some point, perhaps
3.0.4-2 will be a "stable" release, and thus the code from "testing" is
moved to "stable".

> I'd like to understand this in general, but I also have two specific
> questions:
>
>    1) Which branch is headed toward 3.05, for instance?

Xen-unstable at the moment. It will (most likely) end up in "stable" at
some point, but it will become 3.0.5 testing first.

>    2) What is intended for unstable?

In the immediate future, 3.0.5, later on 3.0.6 or 3.1.0.

At some point there will probably be a branch where 4.0 or similar,
where the current work (possibly quite disruptive to the infrastructure)
goes on in a unstable tree, and all 3.x work is done in testing. Or
there may even, at that point, be a 3.x unstable and 4.x unstable that
are maintained in parallel. This is of course speculation, as only
future will tell what is going to happen at that time.

--
Mats