RE: [Xen-users] Any difference between live migrating of para-virtualize

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Any difference between live migrating of para-virtualized and full-virtualized domains?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:48:25 +0100
Cc: Liang Yang <multisyncfe991@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 03:51:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FV (HVM) save/restore is currently working (although there are probably
a few reliability bugs - after a few hundred save/restore cycles, the
guest may crash). [There's been a couple of patches since I tried it
last time, so it is possible that it's been fixed - although none of the
patches mentions "fixes reliability", so it would be a "chance fix",
rather than a "intentional fix" in that case].

Live migration is a bit further in the future, as it relies on
"Log-dirty" to track the pages that have been written to since the
original copy of the pages. Since this feature isn't in the
shadow-paging code that HVM uses, it's not going to work until log-dirty
is supported, which is unknown when this will happen.

Currently live-migration aborts in xc_hvm_save() with a message of
"can't do live migration" (or something like that) - but removing that
error message wouldn't REALLY fix anything, as log-dirty is still not
working.

As Mark says, xm save/restore/migrate should be exactly the same for
both types of domains, so the user doesn't need to know whether it's a
PV or FV domain that is being saved/restored/migrated.

--
Mats