RE: [Xen-users] RE: can XEN be extended ?

To: "anant" <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] RE: can XEN be extended ?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:20:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 06:20:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, so writing new (or modifying existing) drivers is not really the
subject for this mailing list.

You can write drivers in ANY language that has a few features, but I'm
not aware of any drivers that are written in a different language than C
(perhaps some C++).

The drivers don't need to be "accepted by Xen". They need to work in
Dom0, which means that they need to contain the correct functions that
are exported by the Dom0 kernel.

When I said "What you want to do?", I get the feeling that you're asking
questions about "the current problem as you see it".

For example, if you have a puncture on your car, you may walk into a
local garage and ask "How do I loosen a wheel-nut?", only to five
minutes later say "How do I use the lift the car up so I can remove the
wheel?" and eventually, "How do I get the spare wheel out of the boot?".
If instead, you come out with "I've got a puncture, and I don't really
know how to fix it", you may be able to get more concrete advice on how
to fix it "in one go" - and perhaps also an alternative
solution/suggestion (such as "Here's some pressurized gas with some guey
gunk that you can fill your wheel up with, and it'll hold for about a
day 'til you can get to a workshop that can fix it properly").

So I want to know what the REAL problem is that you think you need to
write a driver to solve, rather than explain how you write a driver.

Note also that a standard Linux distribution comes with an awfull lot of
drivers, so I'd be very surprised if you can come up with any device
that isn't already supported (aside from some graphics cards and WiFi
network adapters, that tend to have "no specification", which means that
it's between hard and impossible to write drivers for them without being
inside the company that provides that hardware). [And if you're not
intending to spend ten to twenty man-years on writing drivers, I'd
suggest that you find a differnet graphics card if that's what's causing
your problems - it's a cheaper and easier solution by any measure].

--
Mats