RE: [Xen-users] USB Pass-through or USB virtualization status?

To: "Derek" <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] USB Pass-through or USB virtualization status?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:59:44 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 05:02:52 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At the moment, there is no way to pass any PCI device, including USB to
a HVM guest.

I think there's some minimal support for USB in QEMU, but I'm not sure
how well it works for connecting random devices.

For digital cameras, my preferred method (ignoring virtualization) is to
use a card-reader and remove the memory card from the camera - and since
the card appears like a disk to Linux in this case, you should be able
to treat it as a "CDROM" device in the guest-OS [although I haven't
actually tried this]. Of course, this assumes you're doing this to fetch
images that have been taken by the camera, rather than for example using
the computer to control the camera... ;-)

Obviously, the "remove the media" only works for digital cameras, not
ipod, pda or gps - not sure how to solve that one...

--
Mats