[Xen-users] practical example and explanation of Xen sHype

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] practical example and explanation of Xen sHype
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:48:50 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:48:35 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I looked at the description of sHype in the Xen manual.

But I have trouble to see some real world usage: Is it really there
only to protect a careless admin to start a domain used by cocacola on
the same server where already a pepsicola domain is running, so they
cannot steal each others secrets? Why not just let the admin decide
and be careful about what domain he starts where?
I mean, to start a domain, he must put a config file there, log
himself on on the machine, run xm create. Assuming he's so careless
doing this on coca-cola-xen-server.mydatacentre.com instead of
pepsi-cola-xen-server.mydatacenter.com, then I have a totally
different problem that has not to be solved by adding a software
layer, but by selecting the right person who get root access - isn't
it?

I thought that anyway Xen protects DomU's from accessing each others
ressources - does the existence of sHype mean, domU's aren't really
well isolated?

If the idea is to have something in a distributed setup for multiple
Xen Servers (that eventual even try to automatically migrate to
another machine), then I am missing a bit the centralized management.
With multiple servers, and have these exclusion rules, I don't want to
be forced to put them on each machine manually - then I'd rather want
a central permission server, something like that.

Henning