RE: [Xen-users] Fedora 6 DomU creation problem

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 04:23 -0800, Gary W. Smith wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Maybe I'm just confused.  I have found documentation on the net that
> says to do things one way and other documentation that says do it
> another.  I've been told not to use distro's and compile from source,
> etc.

This is an on-going problem confronting Xen users. Quite a bit of
blogging and wiki-authoring went into 2.0.7 and early versions of 3.
Search engines picked these up quickly and the blog/wiki authors never
updated the content.

There is newer information available on newer sites, the Xen lists
themselves, etc, however this list has to compete with many other wikis,
forums and blogs (not to mention list aggregators) in Google. So a
search has a 50/50 shot of turning up current information, depending on
the keywords entered.

> My problem is that I really need to keep with a couple distro's for some
> of our apps.  To fix that problem we are currently running those
> distro's in a fully virtualized environment.
>
> Prior to using xen we have been using (without problem) VMWare Server.
>
> Basically I need to be able to run the following OS's
>
> Fedora 5
> Debian Sarge
> CentOS4 2.6.9

All three of them run very nicely paravirtuailzed, with the exception of
CentOS 4 with 2.6.9. Is there some particular reason you need this older
kernel? It would do well as a HVM guest, the other two would do nicely
paravirtuailzed.

In my experience, Ubuntu is the simplest dom-0 OS to use and makes
things relatively painless. I have many Xen boxes in production, all
running one flavor or another of Ubuntu.

> We have been successfully running rPath Dom0/DomU.  In fact, this is
> what sold us on rolling out Xen.  It takes just minutes to get the
> DomU's installed.
>
> I've now spend almost a week trying to get various DomU's installed
> under Fedora 6.  That is, DomU's that aren't fully virtualized.

Try www.jailtime.org , those templates are easy to copy over and bend
into whatever you need. Just be sure to double check the yum sources
prior to updating or installing more packages.

The Debian template is also quite nice.

> Is there a recommended path to doing this?  I tried using the files from
> jailtime.org and they seem to work for centos until we do something like
> a yum update them world flips up side down.

Check /etc/yum.conf, and remove the kernel.org repos from it. That will
fix your problem. The repos in repos.d should be the ones in use, remove
or comment out the ones found in yum.conf itself. I'm not sure why they
did it that way, but it needs to be undone.

> I don't might creating a kernel for each of the distro's and called it
> external using the kernel parameter.  My problem is that I seem to need
> modules that aren't present in the distro as inline modules which would
> require me to either compile a crap load of stuff inline (such as all of
> the iptable modules, tun, etc) or to create those as modules and drop
> them in the DomU and reference it from the external kernel.  At that
> point it's the same as running grub.

Should be no need to do this. The dom-u kernel modules (found on dom-0
if you made a dom-u kernel) can just be copied into place easily.

> Any suggestions?
>
> Gary

Hope this helps.

--Tim