Re: [Xen-users] fedora core 6 domU on Opensuse 10.2 dom0 - fsck at each

To: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] fedora core 6 domU on Opensuse 10.2 dom0 - fsck at each boot
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:31:14 +0800
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:31:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 02:20 +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Hi,
> I bootstrapped fedora with yum, and everything seems to work fine.
>
> I have only one problem: the installed fedora system always wants to
> make a filesystem check for the root file system on /dev/xvda1, on
> every start and reboot.

Is there per chance a symlink in /dev named 'root' or 'rootfs' that
points (broken) to /dev/xvda1 ? Removing it may solve that problem if it
exists.

> The system boots and runs fine with no other errors in any log, no
> matter if I answer y or n on the fsck question at bootup.
>
> Seems like it could be solved by looking at fedora init scripts line
> by line, but this could take some while -  maybe I am not the only one
> who had that problem.

I usually stop (disable) the init scripts (I think its checkfs on
fedora?) and do this on dom-0 as part of my startup script for the
guest. I found that if a guest crashes, fsck doesn't quite work from
within the guest and its an endless cycle of reboots. Same thing with
CentOS.

> Are there better ways to install Fedora on Suse than using yum?
> Rpmstrap sounded nice for a while, but seems completely outdated and
> not further developed anymore.

Not that I've found, unless you use a pre-made template and copy over
the needed stuff in /etc and modules. I'd also love to find a better
way. There are some, but I'm not sure if you'll like them ..

> Anaconda is really heavy, I want something simpole tazt installs into
> a directory, but i could try to boot it and let anaconda do the
> install just as on fedora dom0 if nothing else works.

A nice point and click system to deploy fc4/centos/ (anything yum based)
with packages you select or drag and drop is my eventual goal too.
Unfortunately as you said rpmstrap isn't the best way to do it.

So far I have tried :

Making a small (udev, coreutils, libs/so's and the bare bones basics)
template, and copy over a script in init.d that installs what you want
on first boot then removes itself to /root. This drove me nuts because
in some cases I need to rely on yum dependencies, and in others I don't,
and no two distros seem to be close to the same when it comes to yum
suggesting packages. Maddening, but easiest to throw together if you
don't mind cleaning up after the script a bit.

Played with making a package and putting my own mirror in yum's
sources .. i.e. "int-lamp-default-php5" "int-lamp-default-mysql5" but
again getting things in the right order and dealing with deps is
maddening.

Part of my problem is I have been in Debian land so long that I've
fallen out of touch with other distros. If you manage to come up with
something that works, please share :)

Best,
-Tim