Re: [Xen-users] Iptables & compiling

To: David Johnson <drjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Iptables & compiling
From: Xen Help <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:44:28 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:45:53 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

David Johnson wrote:
CentOS4.4

Ok, this is from my notes:

1. Installed lean version of CentOs
2. Installed everything as listed here http://mark.foster.cc/wiki/index.php/Xen_on_CentOS-4 (and the README from the source code)
3. Download Xen source from its source; untar it and read the README
4. do not edit the .config unless you know what you do or want to spend months experimenting 5. if you get an error, read it and try to figure out what package your missing 6. when compiled ok do the last thing in the readme: depmod -a and the mkinitrd stuff; IMPORTANT run the install.sh script. 7. then you are ready to go, if it is not working (as was my case) you might need the 2 kernel version
if 7 then
8. do the make as explained in the README to build dom0 and domU; re run the install script. 9. setup your grub to use the dom0 and your domU config to use the right kernel and initrd

You should be up and running.

My only problem left is with iptables which somehow is not working, somehow not loading modules or else. lsmod only provides this and I try to compile with netfilters BUT I am not familiar enough yet with the Makefile of Xen.
I did get an error about Microcode stuff but...
This is pretty much trial and error work, it is a pitty the doc is so scarce, most friends have switched over to Vmware:

lsmod:
Module                  Size  Used by
video                  13988  0
thermal                10696  0
processor              15184  1 thermal
fan                     3236  0
button                  4912  0
battery                 7556  0
ac                      3396  0

[root@localhost ~]# iptables -L
iptables v1.2.11: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I hope to fix it once and for all before the new years.

I hope this helps

++