RE: [Xen-users] OT: "Grumpy old men" thinking back on the good ol' days

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] OT: "Grumpy old men" thinking back on the good ol' days [was: Multi user/seat setup question]
From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:51:02 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 06:51:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ;-) Just FYI: Back in '93 or so I had 15 users working on a
> > 33MHz 486 PC with 10MB
> > RAM. They were all using Emacs, and a compiler. Today you
> > can't even install with 64MB RAM.
>
> Of course you can - but only if you install an ANCIENT version of some
> operating system - OS/2 1.x-3.x or Linux 2.2 for example would work...
> Not that you can even BUY 64MB of RAM anymore (at least not
> from regular retailers).

Well, I can boot a Debian Sarge under xen with 20 MB of RAM running a
2.6.16 kernel so that is hardly ancient (see below). 16 MB fails to boot
the kernel with an out-of-memory. The instance with 20 MB starts to swap
as soon as I start e.g. samba, but if you give a domain 32 MB it should
trundle along just fine. Guess that 32 should be enough on a physical
machine as well then (you probably loose a few megabytes to device
drivers on real iron). Don't know if any current installers will work on
32 MB though.

Didn't mean to make this into a contest or something. I am just a
"grumpy old man" thinking that Wirth's law
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law) is one of the most
substantiated observations in computer science :-) - along with Murphy's
that is.

Cheers
-- Jan Holst Jensen, Denmark

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
Starting MTA: exim4.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 debian-template tty1

debian-template login: root
[bla bla bla]
debian-template:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:         20660      19260       1400          0        556
7944
-/+ buffers/cache:      10760       9900
Swap:      1023992          0    1023992
debian-template:~#