Re: [Xen-users] Booting Jailtime Centos Image

To: "Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Booting Jailtime Centos Image
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:40:16 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jensen Nathan A Capt USAFA/DFCS <nathan.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:40:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
> [...]
> The jailtime images work fine.  You guest kernel is most likely
> misconfigured.  You don't need an initrd unless your guest's kernel
> needs an initrd.  It shouldn't in almost every case.

It must not be like that.

The fedora xen packages come in a different configuration than
"standard" xen.

I don't know all details, but this is what I oberved:
They use pygrub by default, and I also had no luck running VMs built the
"usual" way on native Fedory Xen packages, or  not that I remember.
Running them on Fedora with a Xen/XenLinux from sources, or Binary
tarballs from xensource works fine - there again the FC6 built images
"don't work" out of the box.

I assume this is a pygrub issue as well, but had no time to look deeper
into it yet, so just an idea where to look at.

I think the best point for information on these things is the fedora-xen
mailing list, because (hopefully) they know what changes they applied
and how to achieve compatibility with other VM images and vice versa.

Henning