[Xen-users] domUs dropping off the network (Xen 3.0.2)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] domUs dropping off the network (Xen 3.0.2)
From: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 15:57:10 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:57:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We've recently started seeing several domUs on multiple machines losing
all network connectivity. At least one of these machines (since they are
customer machines I can't verify it for all of them) give the error:

$ sudo ifup eth0
eth0: full queue wasn't stopped!

About the only Google hit for this message is:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2004-09/msg00018.html
which isn't especially reassuring, but unfortunately, because they are
production machines, I'm not in a position to do a lot of debugging.

The problem appears to be time-depedent. It's manifested on several
domUs on several host machines (all the hosts were rebooted within an
hour or so of each other, around 130 days ago, and the first instance of
this problem was around three weeks ago).

The vif needs to be renamed for the domU to regain network connectivity
and a zombie domU appear (presumably these points are related).

Other data points:
- Debian sarge with backports.org packages of Xen 3.0.2
- Custom 2.6.16.27 kernel with Xen patches from Debian:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-xen/trunk/patches/linux-2.6.16-xen.patch.gz?op=log&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=0
- Host network driver is e1000 throughout.

I will probably try to upgrade these machines to 3.0.3 as I've had some
anecdotal evidence that this has fixed a similar problem for someone
else, but I thought I'd post my experiences here too in case this rings
a bell with anyone.

Cheers,

Dominic.