Re: [Xen-users] Question on Xen schedulers

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Question on Xen schedulers
From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:12:48 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:13:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13 Nov 2006 at 14:17, Schmidt Werner wrote:

> All,
>
> following the announcements and recommendations since mid of this year
> 'credit' is now the (only) recommended scheduler and the others ('bvt',
> 'sedf') are already removed from the latest Xen 3.0 sources or will be
> removed in the future.
> Now, 'credit' is designed for an optimum utilisation of a SMP system and may
> be really the best scheduler for this purpose. But i think this is not the
> only useful scenario for the usage of Xen; there maybe other scenarios with
> other demands, e.g. soft real-time systems and/or single processor systems.
> If i remember correctly, one of the major advantages mentioned in the first
> announcements of Xen 3.0 was the support of multiple schedulers (for
> different purposes). Could give anyone the reasons why this approach is not
> longer valid and what is the reason to kick out the already existing more
> 'real-time friendly' schedulers, especially sedf ?

In SLES 10 that has XEN 3.0 the README of SEDF comes with the package, so I was
assuming the scheduler was there. I haven't checked however. Is there a command
display the effective scheduler? ("xm info" does not)

Also the "xm" manual page says:

SCHEDULER SUBCOMMANDS
       Xen ships with a number of domain schedulers, which can be set at boot
       time with the sched= parameter on the Xen command line.  By default
       sedf is used for scheduling.

Ulrich