Re: [Xen-users] bridge interfaces in dom0

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006, Steve Feehan wrote:

> My question rephrased is: if I have 2 bridges in dom0 (say xenbr0 and
> xenbr1)
> does dom0 require a configured IP address on each bridge?

> My instincts told me no, but my experiment showed otherwise.

> Imagine the simplest case of one physical interface. You don't want
> the interface in dom0 to have IP address, but you still want to
> provide networking to the guests via the bridge configured in dom0. Is
> this possible?

Yup. I think the bridging stuff is fine but the scripts aren't.
In any case, to get around that I just have 'bogus' IP addresses on my
"bridge-only" interfaces/vlans. domU doesn't care whether there's an IP
or not on it.

> I think it must be and either I'm doing something wrong or that I'm
> experiencing a limitation in the tools (either those provided by Xen
> or from SUSE) but I was hoping to get some confirmation before I dig
> any deeper.

I think you'll find the networking scripts in Xen make a lot of
assumptions about the underlying interface behaviour. This was why
things like vlan interfaces didn't work (and I haven't verified it
with newer script versions - but, in essence, it'd grab the IP, down
the interface, then try to put it into the bridge group - but downing
a vlan subinterface -> interface deletion; so there's no interface
to bind into the bridge group. Grr. :)

Adrian