Re: [Xen-users] bridge interfaces in dom0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] bridge interfaces in dom0
From: "Steve Feehan" <sfeehan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:58:18 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 07:10:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/9/06, Christian <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Steve,

AFAIK you need only one nic on dom0 if you want to have networking for dom0.
If you configure one nic (eth0) and want this bridged (xenbr0) with a domU,
configure your domU.config nic as following
vif = [  'mac=00:16:E3:00:00:00 , bridge=xenbr0' ]

Understand a bridge like a switch.

hope that helps.

Chris

My question rephrased is: if I have 2 bridges in dom0 (say xenbr0 and xenbr1)
does dom0 require a configured IP address on each bridge?

My instincts told me no, but my experiment showed otherwise.

Imagine the simplest case of one physical interface. You don't want
the interface in dom0 to have IP address, but you still want to
provide networking to the guests via the bridge configured in dom0. Is
this possible?

I think it must be and either I'm doing something wrong or that I'm
experiencing a limitation in the tools (either those provided by Xen
or from SUSE) but I was hoping to get some confirmation before I dig
any deeper.

Thanks,

--
Steve Feehan