RE: [Xen-users] converting ntfs > xen image ? viable?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] converting ntfs > xen image ? viable?
From: Lutrin Jean <jeanlutrin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 02:35:50 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 17:36:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> im wondering if i can 'convert' and existing
>> physical windows partition to a xen image
>> like this:
>>
>> - mount the existing ntfs fs
>> - use dd to make a correct sized foo.img file
>> - loop back mount foo.img
>> - ntfs format (as bootable?) foo.img
>> - 'cp -r ' the files from the  mounted ntfs to the
mounted
>> and formated foo.img
>> - use the disk=['file:...foo.img' etc] clause
>> to use it in xen
>
> Why not just mount the partition to the domU?
> Xen does not need image files.
> disk=['phy:....']
>
> And if you want a copy, dd from the existing ntfs >
> > partition to a new
> partition or file.
> No need to mount, format or cp -r....

But then it's not convenient to backup/duplicate/
archive/make a "template" system/etc.?

For example, how can I do to backup a 20 GB Windows
partition out of which only 1.5 GB is used?

I'm looking infos on this too.

I've made various test... I tried to mount a
disk image file then tar/gzip the content.
I managed to have a stock XP (non-SP2) install
backuped up in a 350 MB file (for 850 MB used on
the disk or so).

But I only managed to uncompress this archive
back to the exact same disk image file (first
I deleted all the files inside the partition,
then uncompressed...).

I tried to create another disk image file (using
qemu-img create -f raw ...), then mounting the
partition inside that disk image, then untarring/
uncompressing, but it was not working.

Basically I'd like to find a way to backup
efficiently and reliably Windows XP filesystem,
being able to resize partition etc.

But it doesn't seem that easy.

I could try to run a DOS Ghost
from Xen and backup the Windows partition using
Ghost.  But I don't know if this would work
(I really should try that real soon now that said).
(but even if working it wouldn't be as convenient
as being able to backup efficiently Windows from
Linux).

At this point I backup whole XP system using
"qemu-img convert" (to compressed qcow format).

The "compressed" image file appears to have a size
corresponding to the used space on the Windows
drive.

So well at least now I can easily backup/duplicate
Windows systems... Though I've got a C: drive that
always must have the same size.

Oh well, if anyone has any infos :)