[Xen-users] Warning regarding AMD Athalon 64 4200+(HVM/AMD-V)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Warning regarding AMD Athalon 64 4200+(HVM/AMD-V)
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:41:08 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:38:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello to all,

For those evaluating the AMD X2 4200+ series for the purposes of running
HVM guests, take a note below before purchasing if the server you are
purchasing happens to be made by HP.

There is an oddball version (apparently OEM sold to HP) which does *not*
support AMD-V technology. I've seen many of these on e-bay as well as
for sale / lease by popular co-location facilities.

Searching around, you'd assume every 4200+ had AMD-V support, this isn't
the case. Broadly, however .. they do with the following exception.

Be sure to get Revision F (AM2 socket) and 1207 socket, not the 939/940
socket. Chances are you're only going to run into those with HP labeled
servers.

Below is the revision / model translation from HP regarding them.. so
you can be sure you're getting the one you want.

The HP translator code:
dx5150 & DL145 G1 = Rev E
dc5750 & DL145 G2 = Ref F

In other words, get the dc5750 , not the dc5150 if you want to run HVM
guests. I'm posting this because the HP models are popular, great
buys .. and (although I'm sure not intentionally) sort of misleading
regarding HVM support.

This also clears up the common misconception that all 4200+ series are
AMD-V enabled, I've seen more than a few folks posting regarding not
being able to get HVM guests to run on them.. this is why.

Again, I love AMD, and I prefer HP servers, this is not an attack on
either, just an attempt to help folks avoid a bad experience when
purchasing for the specific purposes of running HVM guests.

Hope its useful to someone.

Best,
Tim