RE: [Xen-users] AMD's VT for chipsets

To: "Mark Weinem" <mark.weinem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] AMD's VT for chipsets
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:04:10 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 02:05:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not sure if it's part of the translation or some other sort of
misunderstanding, but chipsets (non-processor components) are not
necessary for the AMD-V technology (formerly Pacifica) to operate
correctly. It is available now in Opteron 1xxx, 2xxx and 8xxx;
Athlon64[x2][FX] and Turion X2 processors that have DDR2 memory
controller [it's easiest to tell them apart by that factor - DDR2 was
added to the same generation of processor as the AMD-V feature].
Unfortunately, these processors can not be used in the older
motherboards, due to the DDR2 interface.

I'm not entirely sure what the author considers to be "different from
Intel" - it is a different implementation than Intel's, but with very
similar functionality - there is no difference in functionality in Xen
[aside from wahtever bugs either side is suffering from in the
implementation - as there is some code that isn't shared, the bugs may
be different on either side].

--
Mats