Re: [Xen-users] Xen + Windows + Intel VT-x stability

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen + Windows + Intel VT-x stability
From: "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:07:55 +0200
Cc: joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:35:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Thursday 28 September 2006 5:12 pm, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:
>>
>> > I'm currently running openSUSE 10.1 (and 10.2 alpha4) and
>> > WinXP in multiboot on a Dell Xeon based workstation,
> For HVM, I'd recommend 10.2.alpha4.
> If you open Yast, and go to the "System" then "Virtual Machine Management
> (Xen)" it will take you through the process of installing a guest. For
> Windows, you will want to select "Full Virtualization."
> To see if full virtualization is supported, do an "xm dmesg" and grep
> according to processor:
> AMD: Look for "SVM"
> Intel: Look for "VMX" (I think. The only indication on my core 2 duo
> is "VMXMON is done")
> I have had WinXP running on both AMD and Intel processors.

Yes, I just started out with 10.2 alpha4, because it was recommended
better with regards to test Xen. But I ran into serious issues with the
10.2 alpha4 itself, first the chaotic USB mouse bug making the
installation difficult with the keyboard only. Afterwards, the mouse
problem was possile to fix on i386 using a suggested work-around, but it
didn't help on my x86_64 Xeon machine. I even re-installed 10.2a4 with a
PS/2 mouse instead, but the Gnome panel and Nautilus crashed the whole
time after login. Neither any "other application" would launch from the
Gnome menu, although 10.2a4 worked better using KDE. All in all I found
10.2 alpha4 quite unusable to go further with yet. Therefore I've
decided to wait on the first 10.2 beta and in the meantime go back to
10.1 again.

Rgds,

Terje J. Hanssen