Re: [Xen-users] what do you recommend for cluster fs ??

To: Tom Mornini <tmornini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] what do you recommend for cluster fs ??
From: Luke Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:47:12 -0700
References: <acb757c00609230744q767c1d72jeb70304fccb5db08@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <45155D1D.8070804@xxxxxxx> <4515CA94.6000109@xxxxxxxxx> <4515CE96.8020300@xxxxxxx> <4eb282840609241003p739779f8yec4a2cff5e96adf0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <45176415.1070102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <1159168155.25091.78.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <45179240.1090806@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <4eb282840609250809l59cf0509i93c05e7c9c8f4eef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <80117592-FBB7-4BD9-9571-B055D5FBE2D5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20060925170056.GC16083@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <6188A849-4B2A-4574-9D63-3B8A8585C790@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <Pine.NEB.4.64.0609251102470.25321@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <4E39CBF6-3F00-4037-8B1D-97211E651606@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, if ATA meets your needs, that's fine; last time I used 7.5K SATA, I had long "pauses" whenever all the other computers on a particular disk/array ran their daily crontab, and other times of even moderately high IO. On fibre, everything is pretty smooth. under load it can get slow, I'm running on 2.0Ghz Xeons w/ a 400Mhz bus and pc2100 ram, but the latencies are always low; the system is always responsive.

Also, all the external SATA chassis have been anything but commodity, last time I looked (which admittedly was a while ago) both 3-ware and Adaptec had competing, incompatible "standards" for their 4-lane connectors, and as I recall, at the time the RAID cards almost cost as much as the disks in the 14 bay supermicro we used.

Are there standard interconnects now, such that I can buy a disk chassis from one company and be fairly certain it will connect to a storage controller from another? (I really would like to know... I would like to try out some of those 2.5" 10KRPM SAS drives- those look cool. but I refuse to do so until there is an open standard supported by more than one vendor.) I have seen fairly standard-looking sata JBOD cases that used fibre channel interconnects; I will probably be buying some for storage shortly;

Personally, I place zero value on "support" as even from the premium vendors like EMC, and even when you escalate up to Engineering, you don't get anyone that knows more than I do, and it takes days to get to that point.

However, good manufacturer warranties are really nice-  I'll pay a
significant premium for those. I always buy corsair ram for that reason; awesome warranty. and new disks are nearly always from Seagate; Seagate has excellent warranty support. You don't even have to talk to a person; just fill out a webform (easy when you have a barcode scanner) and mail them in.

So yeah, if there are standard SAS/SATA interconnects, I'd like to know about them, as that seems to be where Seagate thinks things are going. (and I like the way SAS scales. one bus per disk when you have as many spindles as I do would equal some really nice thruput.. that's the only thing the fibre disks lack. They are okay under heavy random load where SATA chokes, but they are also only okay under sequential load, where SATA flies. Of course, I don't see much sequential activity (sequential activity from several hosts to the same disk equals random load on the disk) so I go with the fibre. Still, good sequential performance would make full system restores and a few other things run a whole lot faster. you don't need to do a full system restore very often, but when you do, you really, really need to do it. )