Re: [Xen-users] CPU reccomendation?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] CPU reccomendation?
From: MJang <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:37:04 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:38:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 12:26 -0400, Tod Detre wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the list. Please forgive me if this has been discussed
> recently.
>
> I'm looking at buying a server for at home and I'm looking for advice on
> which cpu to base it on. I will want to put a lot of vm's on this
> server, but the load will probably not be very high. Most of the VM's
> will be linux, but I love to try out OS's so I may try any OS that has
> an x86 port (including windows). The server I put together will probably
> be 1 socket, but have a dual core chip.

I'm just starting to experiment with a T7200 dual core. As you research,
make sure that the motherboard and BIOS also support virtualization.
Lots of reports of disappointed folks where VT (or the AMD equivalent)
has been disabled in one or the other, even with a VT CPU.