[Xen-users] CPU reccomendation?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] CPU reccomendation?
From: Tod Detre <tod@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:26:12 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:26:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, I'm new to the list. Please forgive me if this has been discussed
recently.

I'm looking at buying a server for at home and I'm looking for advice on
which cpu to base it on. I will want to put a lot of vm's on this
server, but the load will probably not be very high. Most of the VM's
will be linux, but I love to try out OS's so I may try any OS that has
an x86 port (including windows). The server I put together will probably
be 1 socket, but have a dual core chip.

I know both Intel and AMD offer virtualization instructions on their
chips, but I can't wade through the marketing fluff to figure out which
one I want. I'm also very new to xen so I don't really know what to look
for.

I've been looking at the Opteron and the Intel Core 2. From what I found
the Xeon 7000 series is the conroe core. Is that right?