Re: [Xen-users] can't get network access from windows hvm

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] can't get network access from windows hvm
From: Georg Bege <therion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 09:10:20 +0200
Cc: galileon@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 00:11:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I've got the same problem! :(
Maybe someone knows how this is done or has some howto.

thanks

Nawal Husnoo wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been able to get windows xp to run under a virtual machine,
> but i cannot get any network access.
>
> My desktop is connected to a university network, and we are only
> given 1 ip address. so i understand i have to use routing instead
> of bridging, right?
>
> i have commented the two lines for bridge and enabled routing in
> /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
>
> next i inserted a line:
>
> vif    = [ 'ip=192.168.0.2,type=ioemu' ]
>

> into my /etc/xen/vm/woesxp file,
>
> next i started the vm, and set the network settings in windows to
> be ip: 192.168.0.2 mask: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 192.168.0.1
>

> the problem is I cannot ping each other, ie both from linux and
> from windows, I get something like host unreachable.
>

> I have tried reading up about the networking in xen, and also tried
>  googling xen routing, but i see the bridging technique is the one
> mostly discussed.
>
> is there a way of solving my problem using bridging then? what i
> need is to ping each other (so that I can setup a samba share to
> share files, and also to rdesktop into the windows) and for the
> windows vm to access the internet
>

> does anyone know of a good link that could help me, or any advice
> about which way i should go?
>
> cheers,
>
> galileon.
>
> _______________________________________________ Xen-users mailing
> list Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>
> !DSPAM:44f8b08e70671336712104!

- --
Georg 'Therion' Bege
http://coruscant.info
http://www.ninth-art.de
therion@xxxxxxxxxxxx <therion at ninth minus art dot de>
GnuPG-Key-ID: 0x5717E214
FingerPrint: A8EC B4B2 C9A9 483B CC87 56EE 07A1 C78E 5717 E214