[Xen-users] can't get network access from windows hvm

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] can't get network access from windows hvm
From: Nawal Husnoo <galileon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:11:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:12:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello everyone,

I have been able to get windows xp to run under a virtual machine, but i cannot get any network access.

My desktop is connected to a university network, and we are only given 1 ip address. so i understand i have to use routing instead of bridging, right?

i have commented the two lines for bridge and enabled routing in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

next i inserted a line:

vif    = [ 'ip=192.168.0.2,type=ioemu' ]

into my /etc/xen/vm/woesxp file,

next i started the vm, and set the network settings in windows to be
ip: 192.168.0.2
mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.0.1

the problem is I cannot ping each other, ie both from linux and from windows, I get something like host unreachable.

I have tried reading up about the networking in xen, and also tried googling xen routing, but i see the bridging technique is the one mostly discussed.

is there a way of solving my problem using bridging then? what i need is to ping each other (so that I can setup a samba share to share files, and also to rdesktop into the windows) and for the windows vm to access the internet

does anyone know of a good link that could help me, or any advice about which way i should go?

cheers,

galileon.