[Xen-users] RE: Differences in performance between file and LVM based im

To: "Ligesh" <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: Differences in performance between file and LVM based images.
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:07:05 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:09:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Finding the file should only happen ONCE when it's being opened (whether
this happens in a loop-back filesystem driver or otherwise... So unless
your starting and stopping the virtual machine or mounting/unmouting a
device, it's not really relevant to the overhead of using files vs. some
other storage for virtual disks.

>  2) Then it has to find out how the file is structured in the
> harddisk.

Yes, that's true.

>  3) To read/write anything, it will again need the entire
> ext3 logic for file structure.

Yes. But hopefully this is fairly efficient.

And it's quite feasible for the EXT3 system to cache data regarding
where things are kept and how to get at it quickly.

There's certainly overhead with using a file-system based virtual disk,
but I don't think it's a HUGE overhead.

>  Anyway, some benchmarks would be great. And I think this
> should be explicitly mentioned in the documentation. Primary
> purpose of virtualization is to squeeze the maximum out of
> hardware, and so we cannot really afford performance
> penalties arising from wrong implementation decisions.

Yes, but my original point is that it's not going to be straightforward
to say under which circumstance the administrator should choose what.

I also don't agree that virtualization is (always) about squeezing the
most performance out of the hardware. It is use-case for virtualization
[for example merging multiple servers into one physical machine], but
there are many other use-cases where other features given by
virtualization is much more important. One of those would be security
and the ability to migrate a guest from one physical machine to another.

>  I will see if I can do some benchmarks.

Please do.