RE: [Xen-users] System seams slower with Xenified kernel and xend dies w

To: "Gabriel Rossetti" <rossettigab@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] System seams slower with Xenified kernel and xend dies with SIG 15
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:28:24 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 02:36:05 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Can't comment on xend dieing, but any binary driver would be unlikely to
work in Xenified kernel, since the Xenified kernel changes some of the
things that a driver needs to do when it translates memory addresses
from virtual to physical - there are now two different types of physical
address: pseudo-physical, which is what the OS sees, and machine
physical, which is what the PROCESSOR sees. If you have a Dom0 that has
512MB of RAM, it will not necessarily have all it's memory from
0..512MB, but it may actually be located anywhere Xen likes it to be...
[Dom0 is most likely starting somewhere low, since it's loaded early -
but that's just luck, rather than planned for]. Machine physical is
needed for the PCI (PCIe == PCIx == AGP == PCI in this case - they are
just different hardware implementations of the same protocol) so that
the card can access memory directly, and for sure all modern graphics
cards have direct memory access capabilities (and most likely doesn't do
much other than a standard 15 year old VGA card if you don't use these
capability).

--
Mats