RE: [Xen-users] Can we run more virtual machine than the memoryavaible?

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, "Rachid Abdoun" <rachid.abdoun@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Harald Schioeberg" <schioebe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Can we run more virtual machine than the memoryavaible?
From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:37:25 +0200
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:38:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm actually not aware of any virtual machine system where
> you are allowed to overcommit memory... But I haven't really
> been looking for them either...

VMware GSX actually allows you to do so, but I would _strongly_ advise
against it. The default setting of GSX 3.1 is unfortunately to allow
some swapping of virtual machine memory and I was not aware of that,
eventually causing a production server to thrash completely, since I was
running too many machines on it while upgrading another host from 2.x to
3.1. After setting the host configuration so it did not allow
overcommitting memory, the hosts have been rock-steady. So... it's kind
of dangerous to walk that overcommitment path...

Cheers
-- Jan Holst Jensen, Novo Nordisk A/S, Denmark