Re: AW: [Xen-users] copy DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AW: [Xen-users] copy DomU
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:10:07 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:12:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 27 June 2006 9:47 am, Jürgen Ladstätter wrote:
> True,
>
> so there is no chance that it copies my DomU and resetzs ip, mac and that
> stuff? Would need that for testing purposes on running systems.

i guess the #IP and mac address problems could be solved by some utilities at
the domU, or some kind of switch that disables network devices.  but the
biggest problem is the block device; live migration doesn't copy the HD
image, it only copies the RAM partition and CPU state (besides kernel and
hypervisor info).

i think you could do it all like this (untested!!)

0) use LVM backed domUs
1) on dom0, create a LVM read-only snapshot of the dumU image
2) do a block copy (dd) to a new LVM partition
3) release the snapshot.  the old domU keeps running
4) mount on dom0 the new copy of the image
5) modify config scripts, or anything, unmount it.
6) create a new xen config for a new vm using the new copy, with different
MAC/IP addresses
7) fire up the new domU

--
Javier