Re: [Xen-users] Xen Migration 100 nodes

To: "Chris Vaughan" <supercomputer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Migration 100 nodes
From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:18 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:41:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/23/06, Chris Vaughan <supercomputer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello people of the Xeniverse,

I am working on putting together a large xen cluster of 100 approximate nodes with more than one vm per node.  If I am to migrate these xen sessions around from node to node can these xen sessions share the same image that is NFS mounted?  Or do I need to have a different image for each xen session?  This will obviously create a lot of storage constraints.

Anyone have any suggestions on efficient image management?

Thanks,

--
------------------------------
Christopher Vaughan

I don't know the answer, but what are you trying to do?

Some thoughts:

1) Have a boot / root image that is readonly and then have filesystems that you mount read/write, one (or more) per VM.  If you go this way, you could use a live CD like SUSE provides to be your boot / root filesystem.  Obviously you would want to replace the kernel with a paravirtualized one.

2) Run SSI (Single System Image) on all of the VMs in read/write mode.  In theory SSI would let you do this, but I would expect any disk i/o to be slow due to locking.  I think I've seen some posts on their list about using xen with ssi clusters.

Good Luck, and keep us informed.  I for one have thought of having dozens of VMs spread across several machines, but I had only thought about using dedicated virtual disks, not trying to share them.

Greg

--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group