[Xen-users] Re: UPS serial port ttyS0

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 06:03:09PM -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-06 at 15:39 +1000, Matt Palmer wrote:
> > module /<kernel> xencons=tty
> >
> > will free up ttyS0 for use as a real serial port.  When you reboot, you'll
> > have a real ttyS0 again, and your dom0 kernel's dmesg should have proper
> > mention of serial port things ("ttyS0: blahblah irq=4 blah io=0x3f8" etc).
>
> Thanks, but sadly, I've already tried that and it doesn't work.  Here's
> what I have:
>
> title Xen (2.6.16-xen3_86.1_rhel4.1)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /xen.gz
>         module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen ro root=/dev/vg00/root vga=791
> xencons=tty
>         module /initrd-2.6-xen.img
>
> And this is the error I get:
>
> WARNING: Failed to register Xen virtual console driver as 'tty1'

That's... strange.  Let me show you what I've got:

title   XenoLinux 3.0 (kernel #{kernel_version})
root    (hd0,0)
kernel  /xen.gz dom0_mem=256M console=vga
module  #{kernel} xencons=tty #{KERNEL_CMDLINE}
module  /boot/initrd.img-#{kernel_version}

So it looks roughly like one of your configurations.  All I can say is that
what I've got there works for me -- I can access the serial port in the
dom0, and I can also forward that serial port into the domU when I need to.

- Matt