[Xen-users] Re: UPS serial port ttyS0

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:03:05AM -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-06 at 12:41 +0200, Chris Fanning wrote:
> > So, I plug the UPS into dom0 serial port and change the permissions.
> >
> > # ls -l /dev/ttyS0
> > crw-rw----  1 root nut 4, 64 2006-06-01 09:55 /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > But I'm running into problems.
> > I've seen in my boot log
> >
> > "Xen virtual console successfully installed as ttyS0"
> >
> > Can someone please explain this to me?
>
> Did you figure this one out? I'm having the same problem, and even
> though I believe I've disabled the xen console, I still can't get the
> UPS to attach to ttyS0 in dom0.  Actually, ttyS0 doesn't even exist -
> I'm clued out.

module /<kernel> xencons=tty

will free up ttyS0 for use as a real serial port.  When you reboot, you'll
have a real ttyS0 again, and your dom0 kernel's dmesg should have proper
mention of serial port things ("ttyS0: blahblah irq=4 blah io=0x3f8" etc).

Don't ask me why Xen likes to hijack ttyS0 by default, because I don't know.

- Matt