Re: [Xen-users] HA Xen on 2 servers!! No NFS, special hardware, DRBD or

To: chris@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] HA Xen on 2 servers!! No NFS, special hardware, DRBD or iSCSI...
From: Matthew Wild <M.Wild@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:40:04 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 07:40:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 07 June 2006 15:24, Chris de Vidal wrote:
> --- Matthew Wild <M.Wild@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if Xen's live migration requires something like GFS on
> > > shared hardware?  Or does it take care of the problem as long as it's
> > > the only thing accessing the drive?
> >
> > I've had live migration working using iet/open-iscsi supplied vbds
> > formatted with reiserfs.
>
> Cool, thanks for answering that.
>
> I have a question about your setup: After you live-migrate can you then
> power off the first node?

I must admit it's not something we explicitly tried, but I don't see why not.
Apart from the configuration file and the contents of the log files, there's
nothing on the node you've migrated from to suggest the domU ever existed
there.

At the moment I'm just talking about a single iSCSI target machine. What we
hope to get going soon is a mirrored storage system using drbd providing
iscsi through ha-linux or possibly multipath-tools. Then I can have multiple
xen dom0's accessing the "disks" they need for the domU's. The main thing is
to have the vbd's accessed through a persistent name and not just /dev/sda
etc.

We still have to look at managing the xen vm configuration files, though they
could be supplied through nfs from the NAS boxes.

Matthew
--
Matthew Wild                       Tel.: +44 (0)1235 445173
M.Wild@xxxxxxxx                    URL http://www.ukssdc.ac.uk/