Re: [Xen-users] Kernel panic booting dom0, possible initrd problem?

To: Justin Mahood <jbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Kernel panic booting dom0, possible initrd problem?
From: Arnd <m_list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 16:22:53 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 07:23:31 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Justin,

If you run into too much problems with the initrd then just compile the drivers for your raid controller and for the used filesystems directly into the kernel. If your dom0-Kernel has all these drivers built inside you don't need any initial ramdisk.

Arnd

Justin Mahood schrieb:
Hey all,

I'm running SLES9 as my dom0 on a Dell Poweredge2850. I have 6 SCSI hard disks running RAID 10 off from the onboard RAID controller. I installed the xen binaries seemingly without any issues, but whenever I try to boot the Xen kernel, I get a kernel panic and the system immediately reboots. I don't have a log of the failure text, but the panic deals with being unable to find the root path that I've set, /dev/sda1. My initial guess is that this is an initrd issue because of the SCSI/MEGARAID controller. I'm using the initrd pacakged with the xen binaries for SLESsp2. I also tried booting with the regular SLES initrd and got the same panic. If it is an initrd issue, how do I add specific modules to the existing xen initrd? I've tried using mkintird, but I can seemingly never get it to work right. I'm fairly desperate, so any advice you can give me would be fantastic.
Thanks,

Justin Mahood