[Xen-users] Unable to see any output from a (failing) guest

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Unable to see any output from a (failing) guest
From: Arnd <m_list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 16:12:08 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 07:13:00 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello list,

I was following the instructions for XEN with Gentoo and able to set up an running domain 0 with x86_64. This was very easy but I must have done a big mistake because I am still unable to start any guests...

I was trying several configurations (for the guests) but without any result.

/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp
---
(logfile /var/log/xend.log)
(loglevel DEBUG)
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$')
(network-script network-bridge)
(vif-script vif-bridge)
(dom0-min-mem 196)
(dom0-cpus 0)

/etc/xen/test
---
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.18-xenU"
name = "test"
memory = 256
disk = [ 'phy:xenDiskGroup/test,sda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/sda1 rw"

The device /dev/xenDiskGroup/test is a partition with reiserfs where I copied the domain 0 system. I changed the fstab inside this system to have /dev/sda1 mounted as /. When I start this guest, it stopps after a few seconds:

xen ~ # xm create /etc/xen/test -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/test".
Started domain test
xen ~ #

The logfile /var/log/xend.log only says "Domain has shutdown" ... "reason=reboot". After the second restart of this guest, XEN stops this guest "to avoid loops"...

"[2006-06-07 13:02:41 xend] INFO (XendDomain:363) Domain test (18) unpaused.
[2006-06-07 13:02:52 xend.XendDomainInfo] INFO (XendDomainInfo:836) Domain has shutdown: name=test id=18 reason=reboot"

What do I need to do to see any output of this guest? I was trying to give any additional information to the kernel to see anything on the serial device (extra = "com1=9600,8n1 console=ttyS0 debug") but also without result.

If I mount /dev/xenDiskGroup/test to /mnt/test then I am able to chroot to this location.

Any suggestions? The kernel config for the domU is the same as for dom0, despite the following settings:

[ ] Privileged Guest (domain 0)

< > PCI device backend driver

< > Block-device backend driver

< > Network-device backend driver

< > TPM-device backend driver

<*> Block-device frontend driver

<*> Network-device frontend driver

< > Block device tap driver

< > TPM-device frontend driver

[*] Scrub memory before freeing it to Xen

[ ] Disable serial port drivers

< > Export Xen attributes in sysfs

I have no idea what to do next so any suggestions or any ideas are really helpfull.

Thanks
Arnd