[Xen-users] Re: Bare Metal Installation of Xen

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 07:48:51PM -0700, Chris de Vidal wrote:
> > Ubuntu Breezy via Instalinux (http://instalinux.com/).
>
> OK that's a very nifty website... kinda like rPath?

Don't know what rPath is, but yes, it's a very nifty website.  <grin>

> > I could get rid of the manual shell script (and make it an automated part
> > of the process) if I
> > added asking for hostname and domain name in the install phase.  I kept that
> > out of it because the first stage install from the CD is done by
> > non-technical bods (data centre
> > staff).
>
> And even that could be read from the bootup options:
> linux host=Xen1 domain=Example.com

Assuming I wanted people to stop and enter bootup options.  The CD starts
the install all by itself.  In actual fact, the only thing stopping me from
asking for the hostname/domain is two lines in the preseed file, but I
haven't gotten around to it yet.

> Or like in (gag) Windows, with a file on a floppy or HD partition.

That'd be a *lot* more hassle than it's worth -- it's easier to run the
script after install than having to fiddle with a floppy every time.  I've
considered a text file lookup from a data file on the CD, but at the moment
we're not doing enough volume to warrant that sort of setup.

> > The install CD isn't really Xen-specific, but part of what the post-install
> > shell script does is install Puppet, which has all the rules in it such
> > that, if I say that a particular machine is a Xen dom0, then gosh-darnit, it
> > will be!  All up, it's about as automated as I'm really comfortable with.
>
> Nifty!
>
> Care to share?

Possibly.  It's for work, via a client, so one or both of them might not be
real keen on handing out their golden eggs for free.  I'm asking to open
stuff as it's done, though, so there's a good chance it'll end up out there
eventually.

- Matt