Re: [Xen-users] Re: Bare Metal Installation of Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Bare Metal Installation of Xen
From: Chris de Vidal <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:48:51 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:49:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--- Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > i guess any LiveCD with the right tools would work.  no need to boot a
> > > xen
> > > kernel to install one.
> >
> > No I mean unattended bare-metal installs.  Key word is unattended, or very
> > minimal
> interaction.
>
> I've built a customised install CD that asks for IP/netmask/gateway/DNS, and
> requires you run one shell script afterwards to finish things off.  Based on
> Ubuntu Breezy via Instalinux (http://instalinux.com/).

OK that's a very nifty website... kinda like rPath?

> I could get rid of the manual shell script (and make it an automated part of
> the process) if I
> added asking for hostname and domain name in the install phase.  I kept that
> out of it because the first stage install from the CD is done by
> non-technical bods (data centre

> staff).

And even that could be read from the bootup options:
linux host=Xen1 domain=Example.com
Or like in (gag) Windows, with a file on a floppy or HD partition.

> The install CD isn't really Xen-specific, but part of what the post-install
> shell script does is install Puppet, which has all the rules in it such
> that, if I say that a particular machine is a Xen dom0, then gosh-darnit, it
> will be!  All up, it's about as automated as I'm really comfortable with.

Nifty!

Care to share?

CD

TenThousandDollarOffer.com