Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-users] Xen in a 32 way system

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [Xen-users] Xen in a 32 way system
From: "Pablo Montesinos" <pablomontesinos@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:30:06 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Uros Trebec <uros.trebec@xxxxxxxxx>, "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:30:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The reason why I wanted to use a 2.6.16 kernel is the following. When
I installed this morning the "vanilla unstable" version I downloaded,
it created only one kernel, 2.6.16.13-xen. I booted the system with
it, and it didn't work well because of some network card, but RHEL
acutally booted. I didnt check the output while it booted, but I
assumed that it was using all the cpus. So I reconfigured the kernel
with my kernel config, and I got the crash.

I am inserting some extra code in XEN to check how many cpus it is
seeing. But this is the first time I look into XEN's code, so I am
going very slow.

Thanks,
Pablo

On 6/1/06, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1 Jun 2006, at 18:00, Petersson, Mats wrote:

> The line you have the BUG in is a VCPUOP_initialize, which ends up in
> .../xen/common/domain.c: do_vcpu_op(), where it does essentially the
> first thing is a check:
>       if ((vcpuid < 0) || (vcpuid >= MAX_VIRT_CPUS))
>               return -EINVAL;
>
> And I think this check will fail if vcpuid is 32, unless MAX_VIRT_CPUS
> is not the standard value in . RSI is 32 (0x20)

Our smpboot.c in Linux should only try to initialise context for cpus
in cpu_possible_map. And that map is initialised by querying Xen about
the state of each VCPU. So it's unclear how you can end up getting this
crash. Looks like it needs some more tracing added...

  -- Keir