[Xen-users] HVM and physical VDBs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM and physical VDBs
From: Mathieu Guillaume <mat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:07:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 06:08:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I recently got my hands on a VMX-supporting processor and I've been trying to install different OSes. I managed to get a Windows XP guest working in HVM mode (with SDL, VNC gives me messed up input) but I'm having issues with the install on the linux guest.

Until that's fixed, I'm setting up the linux guest as a paravirtualized host. I'm using a physical device (lvm volume) as my main partition like this:
['phy:/dev/Guests/Guest1,sda1,w']

If I want to migrate this system later to a HVM guest, can I keep this same partition? If so, how would I go about it? My understanding is that the ioemu system we need for the hardware virtualization emulates disks, while paravirtualized hosts use partitions, but it's still all pretty obscure to me.