Re: [Xen-users] Re: Re: Redundant server setup

Have you got any hints for others to set up the nagios server? And how about
a CFS<>NFS bridge? Why is that neccessary?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul M." <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Per Andreas Buer" <per.buer@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Matthew Wild" <M.Wild@xxxxxxxx>; <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Re: Redundant server setup

On 5/22/06, Per Andreas Buer <per.buer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12. mai. 2006, at 15:31, Matthew Wild wrote:
>
> > But as far as I can see, DRBD only provides twin machine shared
> > storage. I
> > have a few servers I want to use as dom0s and since they are
> > generally simple
> > 1U boxes I want them as clean from local storage as possible. The
> > NAS box is
> > bigger and generally better protected with redundant PSU, hardware
> > RAID with
> > hotswap spares etc. If I could pair two machines like that and then
> > offer
> > storage to the dom0s from that redundant pair that would be better.
>
> Buy two servers, use DRBD between them and share the storage with
> gnbd. gnbd seems to be quite stable and easy to manage. Besides - it
> does not exhibit any of the strange issues people see with iSCSI when
> under load.

If you have a few machines to devote to file storage than a cluster
file system is the best way to go. Having dom0 on each of the machines
provide a CFS<-->NFS bridge for the domUs and a Nagios server running
to monitor services/domU's and restart on other machines if needed
would provide a system with the network being the only single point of
failure. And that could be taken care of too....
-Paul