Re: [Xen-users] Device 0 (vif) could nto be connected: backend device no

To: pak333@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Device 0 (vif) could nto be connected: backend device not found
From: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:54:38 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:55:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
pak333@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I have seen many posts regarding this but have not found the soultion. So
please cna someone shed some light on this
Thanks
- padma

The usual reason is that the networking set up has failed
at some point and exited prematurely (e.g. from network-bridge
script).  Commonest problem is that brctl wasn't found,
but there are a few others.

Unfortunately, no logs go into xend-debug.log. This seems
to be something that changed a while ago (will look into it).

What usually happens is that things might appear to be
kosher when they are not, and you might then try to create
a guest under these circumstances, and run into a more
inexplicable and unhelpful error message.

Check /var/log/xen-hotplug.log for any more information.

Also, put an explicit:

set -e
exec 2>>/var/log/xend-debug.log

for instance, at the top of your network-bridge script.

I get this error when I do try to create a domU guest (xen 3.0.0, 2.6.12.6).
The vif is set to vif = [ ' mac=aa:00:00:00:11, bridge=xenbr0' ]
 and a "brctl show" shows
xenbr0    8000,fefffffff  interfaces vif0.0 peth0

Xend.log shows:
 ERROR (SrvBase:87) Request wait_for_devices failed.  Traceback (most recent
call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python/xen/web/SrvBase.py", line 85, in perform
      return op_method(op, req)
    File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/SrvDomain.py", line 72, in
op_wait_for  _devices
      return self.dom.waitForDevices()
    File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 1343, in
waitForDevi  ces
      self.waitForDevices_(c)
    File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 971, in
waitForDevic  es_
      return self.getDeviceController(deviceClass).waitForDevices()
    File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/DevController.py", line 135, in
waitFo  rDevices
      return map(self.waitForDevice, self.deviceIDs())
    File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/DevController.py", line 151, in
waitFo  rDevice
      raise VmError("Device %s (%s) could not be connected. "
  VmError: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.