Re: [Xen-users] bonding and bridging

To: Torsten Werner <mail.twerner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] bonding and bridging
From: Jonathan Wheeler <griffous@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:15:38 +1200
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:16:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I tried to use Xen 3.0.2 with the bond0 device. Unfortunately ARP
> stops working in Xen0. Is it possible to use bridging with a bonding
> device?
>

> Regards,
> Torsten

I don't know if this is still a problem in 3.0.2, but I know that 3.0
had issues with ip checksum offload within the domU when it's using a
bonded virtual nic.

bitty:~ # ethtool -k eth0
Offload parameters for eth0:
Cannot get device rx csum settings: Operation not supported
Cannot get device scatter-gather settings: Operation not supported
Cannot get device tcp segmentation offload settings: Operation not supported
rx-checksumming: off
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: off
tcp segmentation offload: off

Until I issued:
ethtool -k eth0 tx off

I could only ping to/from the domU, and udp/tcp packets just didn't 'work'

HTH

Jonathan Wheeler